Kitchen Towel (sample used is about 15 1/2 inches wide, 25 inches long)
Ticket hole punch
Worsted weight yarn (sample used is Red Heart acrylic yarn)
Crochet hook size 4mm
This topper is crocheted directly on a kitchen towel, after punching holes on one short edge. I used my ticket hole punch. (Its a little hard on the hand, but I liked the result). I made it without adding a button or other closure, since I was going to hang it on a hook.
I didn't measure the holes or lined it straight, just eyeballed it about 1/4 inch from the edge, and 1/4 inch apart from each other. I made 41 holes. The exact number of stitches does not matter much.
Row 1: Join yarn on the 1st hole, ch 1, esc (see esc tutorial below) in each hole across, turn.
Row 2: Ch 4 (counts as 1st tr), (tr tog the next two sts) across, tr on the last st, turn. (see tr tog tutorial below)
Row 3: Repeat row 2.
Row 4: Ch 3 (counts as dc), dc in each st across, turn.
Row 5: Repeat row 4, turn.
Row 6: Ch 4 (counts as tr), (tr tog next 2 sts) twice, ch 1, skip 1 st, (tr tog next 2 sts) twice, tr on last st., turn.
Row 7: Ch 1, sc in each st, turn.
Row 8: Ch 1, (sc tog next 2 sts) 3 times, sc on last st, turn.
Row 9: Ch 1, (sc tog next 2 sts) twice, sl st on last st. Fasten off and weave in ends.
ESC - Extended Single Crochet Stitch
1. Insert hook into stitch (or space) and pull up a loop.
2. Yarn over and draw loop thru one loop (as if making a chain).
3. Yarn over and draw loop thru 2 loops on hook to finish the single crochet.
4. Esc made.
2-TR TOG - 2-Treble together (or tr decrease)
1. Yarn over hook twice, insert on stitch, and draw up a loop.
2. Yarn over and draw loop thru 2 loops on hook; 3 loops left on hook.
3. Yarn over and insert hook on next stitch, pull up a loop. (You now have 5 loops on hook.)
4. Yarn over and draw thru 2 loops, leaving 4 loops on hook.
5. Yarn over and draw thru 3 loops, leaving 2 loops.
6. Yarn over and draw thru remaining 2 loops.
Tr tog made.
Labels: crochet home decor, free patterns